Monday, March 2, 2009

A Grand Event!

The open house/grand opening this past weekend (2/28/09) at WholeKids Pediatrics & Yoga was a smashing success!  If you were not able to come, please give the office a call and set up a time to come in.  I welcome that.  I am thankful to all of the families that came to see the yoga studio and office.  Thank you for bringing your children - they were all so sweet and I hope to see them again soon!  I know that it got busy at times and I appreciate everyone's patience as they waited to speak with me.  

The open house was a good event for me as an integrative pediatrician.  The turnout exceeded my expectations.  I had many discussions about how I use complementary practices such as yoga, natural medicines and supplements.  Several recent studies show that approximately 40% of Americans utilize complementary therapies and that parents use them for their children as well.  These studies along with the discussions that I had with many of you illustrated the growing need for integrative and holistic care.  Pediatricians must be educated about alternative practices to better serve the children in their care. There were lots of discussions about vaccinations which continues to illustrate to me that an honest dialogue on this subject is necessary.  Vaccines are an issue that is very personal for each family and that is exactly how I treat it. My adage is that whether it is a discussion related to decisions about vaccines or vitamins, one size does not fit all.

All the conversations solidified for me what I knew at a gut level - that families are looking for a pediatric practice that is based on a true partnership with parents and children.  The questions that people asked informed me even further that families are looking for a pediatrician to listen, to guide and to create a safe space for the questions that arise in raising children.  At WholeKids Pediatrics, that is exactly what I hope to have created.

I must take a moment to provide thanks.  I am glad to have the opportunity to practice medicine in a way that feels to true to myself.  I thank my current families and those yet to be patients for the opportunity to care for your children.

As to the open house, the delicious food was from Gordon's Gourmet located next door - Ted, Gordon and Jason are the best!  Kelly and Kathy, I am so glad to work with you every day.  You have embraced WholeKids and for that I am grateful.  Lori, you are a gifted yoga teacher and I am honored to work with you in providing yoga and nutrition counseling for our patients. My family and friends for always being there.  Anne and Jessica, fellow Grandview moms and great friends, my humble gratitude.  Shannon, my dear friend, your assistance, support and love (and Michael's, too) are more appreciated than words can ever say. My girls, Meghana, Lauren and Jesse, for loving me and loving WholeKids. To my husband, John without whom none of this is possible - my love always.